Monday, May 26, 2014

Mental Block

I'm really not sure how to say this, but I had somehow developed this mental block that lasted only a couple lessons. It was gymnastics. 
I LOVE gymnastics. It was my favorite this to do for a long time. So when my instructor pointed me towards a small gymnastics course, of course I was excited. It was just a bounce to a two stride, all of them about two-foot verticals. No big deal, right? Wrong!
I still really don't know what happened. I do know that it was my fault though. I kept tensing up, looking down, and just generally throwing us off balance. 
Sophie tried to jump it once and lost her balance too and ran out on the third jump. Then it was a matter of me not being able to make myself do it. I wasn't scared, but I literally could not just sit up and let my horse do her thing, which is what she likes. So Sophie kept running out, since I was accidentally giving her every opportunity. Finally, the jumps when down to X-rails and I jumped it just fine a couple times. This happened for two lessons, finally ending on a good note in the last one. 

Just the other day I tried gymnastics again and it was like none of that ever happened. We did a double bounce to a two stride where the third jump was an oxer- and jumped it perfect every time. 

I don't get me, but I'm grateful everyday to have a horse that's gonna watch my back while I'm having bad days.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment